- general-purpose ˈgeneral-ˌpurpose adjective [only before a noun]1. a general-purpose product is suitable for most uses or situations that such products are normally used for:
• a general-purpose computer
• general-purpose telecommunications software2. FINANCE general-purpose lending is used to finance a number of different things:
• New York Power Authority said it plans to issue about $180 million of general-purpose bonds to finance two projects.
* * *general-purpose UK US /ˈdʒenərəlˌpɜːpəs/ US /-ˌpɝː-/ adjective► able to be used for many different purposes: »
We should stop trying to turn the general-purpose PC into a specialized entertainment device.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
general-purpose — adjective only before noun 1. ) a general purpose product or vehicle is appropriate for most situations: a general purpose cleaning fluid 2. ) not limited to one use or purpose: Some of the money would come from the general purpose funds … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
general-purpose — adj [only before noun] suitable for most situations or jobs, or having a wide range of uses ▪ a general purpose computer … Dictionary of contemporary English
general-purpose — [jen′ər əl pʉr′pəs] adj. having a variety of uses; suitable for general use … English World dictionary
general-purpose — ► ADJECTIVE ▪ having a range of potential uses or functions … English terms dictionary
general-purpose — adjective not limited in use or function (Freq. 1) • Syn: ↑all purpose • Similar to: ↑general * * * adj, always used before a noun : able to be used for many purposes : not limited to a single purpose a general purpose vehicle … Useful english dictionary
general-purpose — UK / US adjective [only before noun] 1) a general purpose product or vehicle is appropriate for most situations a general purpose cleaning fluid 2) not limited to one use or purpose Some of the money would come from the general purpose funds … English dictionary
general-purpose — adjective (only before noun) a general purpose product, vehicle etc is suitable for most situations or jobs that such things are normally used for: general purpose glue … Longman dictionary of contemporary English
general-purpose — /jen euhr euhl perr peuhs/, adj. useful in many ways; not limited in use or function: a good general purpose dictionary. [1890 95] * * * … Universalium
general-purpose — adj. General purpose is used with these nouns: ↑tool … Collocations dictionary
general-purpose — gen′eral pur′pose adj. useful in many ways; not limited in use or function: general purpose cattle[/ex] • Etymology: 1890–95 … From formal English to slang